Benefits of Conserving Land
Benefits for the public:
- Makes land available for both passive and active recreation.
- Reduces development and helps avoid future costs for expanded municipal services and infrastructure.
- Protects farmland and wildlife habitat.
- Helps maintain high quality streams and protects ground water resources.
- Protects scenic views.
- Open space is maintained by the landowner with no added cost to the township.
Benefits for Landowners:
- Easements permit you to control how the property will be used in perpetuity, no matter who the future owners are.
- Your wishes remain in force even when political leadership and zoning ordinances change in the township.
- Easements are tailored to your particular needs and wishes. You may continue to live on the eased property or you may sell it or pass it on to heirs.
- Placing a conservation easement on the property may have beneficial tax consequences, such as lower estate taxes or lower property taxes.
- Donating the easement may provide significant federal income tax benefits. Landowners are urged to consult professional tax advisors for more information on potential tax benefits of conservation easements.